From:
The Ghost <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 07:25:52 -0700
I have received many good, thoughtful and informative messages from a lot
of people today regarding Moogie's diagnosis of insulinoma.  I will reply
to everyone individually, but that will take time, and I wanted to be sure
to say "thanks" in general to everyone.

My husband and I are still in the process of deciding what to do at this
point.  We probably will not make a final decision until next week on
what avenue to pursue, because the one pretty universal thread in all
the messages I've gotten today has been "Get another opinion!" Moogie's
diagnosis was based on examination alone-- no blood tests or anything; that
was partially because the vet didn't seem to think it was really necessary,
and partially because of prohibitive cost.  The vet was really pushing
me to get the ultrasound done across town-- she said it would make the
definitive diagnosis.  I am still at least 99% convinced that it is
insulinoma, because he has every single sign of it that was mentioned in
the FAQ, even things that I didn't mention to the vet because I didn't
think it was related.  I realize that he is very young for it; but I
adopted him from the Humane Society and no one really knows how old he is.
I suspect he's had insulinoma for quite a while, though, and the more
cynical part of me suspects that this is probably why he's been through
four homes in a year and a half-- probably because he doesn't look or play
like healthier ferrets (but he's more than affectionate enough to make up
for it).

At the moment, we are leaning towards trying to treat him with medication.
I've had more e-mails from people who treat their ferrets with Prednisone,
other medications, and diet changes who tell me that theirs do quite well
on this regimen, than I have from people recommending surgery.  It's not
decided for sure though, until I get him to another vet to get a second
opinion-- especially since this vet doesn't seem to consider medication an
option-- she never even mentioned it!  Only surgery.  I will admit that I
would be thinking more positively about the surgery option if I had more
money, though, and I hate it that this has to come under consideration, but
I'm also struggling with the idea of borrowing money for this operation
when my daughter's uninsured, I am in desperate need of dental work, I'm
being sued by the local hospital for unpaid emergency room bills, etc etc.
I really don't want to sound like I'm rationalizing myself out of spending
money on my pet-- because I really really love him, I'm more attached to
Moogie than I am to the other animals because he seems to need me more and
appreciate me more-- but I'm just trying to explain to the community out
there, whose opinions I respect, that I'm forced to consider every side of
this particular situation.

I really do love him and I hope I can do something to help him.  I've cried
and cried over this and last night I couldn't sleep until I had one of my
fuzzies to sleep with (not that she would cuddle, but still...).

I'll keep everybody informed.

Vickie, Moogie, Pandora, Tank, Flower, Ogre, Subatai, hoomans Seth &
Tori, & one fish.