From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:49:31 -0500
Someone mentioned getting called by the Sierra Club.  A few months ago a
Sierra Club canvasser (ie, door-to-door soliciting person) stopped by my
place one evening.  I had a guest over so was kinda irked by the
interruption.  The conversation went like this:

SC: Hi, I'm with the Sierra Club, and I'd like to know if I could have a
    few minutes of your time..
Me: Oh! Sorry, no, I won't support the Sierra Club due to their position
    on legalizing ferrets in California. Bye!
SC: *bemused blink*
Me: *shuts door*
Guest: *laughs*

I didn't take time to explain it to him - at least, I don't remember if I
said much more than the above - but I quite obviously made an impression on
him.  My guest, who is quite ferret-friendly and whose kitten I was 'sitting
for a weekend, thought it was quite entertaining.

They've probably marked my house now and won't come back.  :) I don't know
about people who call, but canvassers are frequently students and volunteers
who may not be a member of the club but are part of a similar interest
group.  Ie, the student body of the school of Natural Resources at U-M often
did canvassing stuff for SC, etc.

Melissa

 __ Melissa Litwicki ____ [log in to unmask] __
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters