From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:57:35 -0400
Bill, I know this is off-topic, so you'll have to decide whether to let it
slip in as a clarification or not.  I'll be brief.

Kathleen's letter today was sweet, but there's nothing "brave" about
admitting to having mild dyslexia.  In all my life I have NEVER known a
person who did not have some things wrong and some things incredibly right.
Valerie, a friend years ago who was so like folks with William's (sp?)
Syndrome in a recent PBS show that it was like seeing her again, was
intellectually impaired (clinically retarded) but she could understand
other people's feelings to a degree most of us will never master.  A friend
with severe dyslexia can barely read but he can take any object and be able
to visualize it in three dimensions, turn it inside out, warp it, etc.  --
all in his head and became a reknowned engineer.  Several of the cheer
leaders and athletes from my high school had to overcome thinking that they
must strive for perfection and get past alcoholism in the last three
decades, after being the envy of all for their physical perfection.  Just
wanted to straighten that out since everyone has SOMETHING: myopia,
dyslexia, deafness, bad skin, big nose, blond hair... (Hey, I'm a blonde
and can joke that way!!!) In fact, those rare people who think they ARE
perfect probably have the greatest problem of all.  Hey, if nothing else,
maybe it's good for the kids here to know this!

Now, getting off my high horse, I'll tell you something cute: Steve's mom,
Sue, called the other day and Scooter wanted to listen to the phone so I
put him by the ear piece.  Sue was so delighted that she began to laugh.
Now, Sue has a GREAT laugh and Scooter thought so, too.  He grabbed the
headset in both hands and wildly began to kiss the ear piece!!!  I told Sue
what he was doing and she got into a giggle fit, so he just kept kissing.
Until she finally had to put down the phone and catch her breath he
slobbered away -- the thing was actually drippy!

Sukie