From:
Loni Wolfrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:35:37 -0500
I know this isn't a ferret issue - but this was sent to me from some of the
folks who helped with Kodo.  One of the messages I got was "you were right -
now it's our dogs they're after"
Loni

[Moderator's note: It's related , I suppose, because of the strong
similarity to the Kodo case.  BIG]

Nadas is a 3 year old friendly collie/malamute family dog who belongs to 18
year old Sean Roach and his mother Sharon of Ashland Oregon.  Nadas has been
imprisoned in solitary confinement in an animal control facility's
equivalent of "death row" for almost 15 months(since September 1996) in a
small cage.  He was taken by county officials when a neighbor's 13 year old
daughter claimed that he had chased her horse.  Under a cruel interpretation
of Oregon's livestock laws, a dog can be impounded and killed for simply
chasing livestock even if the livestock is not harmed.  Without obtaining a
warrant, animal control officers from Jackson County Oregon went to Sean's
home and "confiscated" Nadas while Sean was away at work.

After a hearing by animal control officers and county commissioners, at=
which Sean was not permitted to cross examine the neighbor (as happens in a
real court of law), the dog was sentenced to die.  Horrified, Sean and his
mother contacted an attorney to appeal.  They are now on their 2nd lawyer.
During the appeal process, which has dragged on for over a year, a
cash-strapped Sean has had to pay over $3000 to the county in "boarding
fees" as required by the law for dogs held in county facilities.  Nadas has
become a cash generator for the Jackson County Animal Control system.

Most recently the Oregon Court of Appeals refused to reverse the county's
decision.  In the meantime, to prevent media attention from being focused on
the plight of this dog, county government officials have refused to permit
anyone in to check on the dog.  The media is not permitted to see or
photograph Nadas.  Sean is not permitted to visit him.  No one is.

We have offered to adopt this dog and have been rebuffed by county officials
who want him put to death.  Many others, outside of rural Jackson county,
and even outside of Oregon have offered to do so as well, and Sean has
agreed to it if it would save his dog.

Why does Jackson County Oregon want to kill this dog?  We believe it is
because the three Jackson County Commissioners all receive most of their
campaign financing from the livestock industry, and the livestock industry
in this part of Oregon mistakenly believes that this law and their right to
protect their own animals are somehow threatened if this poor dog is set
free.  It has become a rancher vs.  urban battle with the livestock people
drawing an imaginary line in the sand.  And yet the absurdity is that they
are venting their wrath on a dog that did no damage to any animal nor
person.

The livestock industry is so powerful in Oregon that the governor refuses to
get involved, thinking that to do so would involve "taking them on".
Nothing could be further from the truth.  Members of the governor's staff
have been interviewed and insist that the governor only has the power to
pardon people, not animals.  That may be true, but the governor does have
the power to revoke questionable "forfeiture orders", which is the legal
term that covers what happens when an animal is impounded.  This power has
been used by governors of other states.  However when we suggested this to
members of the governors staff we were rebuffed and told that it didn't
apply in this case and "why are you making such a big deal about this, it's
just a dog".