From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 19:32:45 -0700
Hi all,

Leafing through our latest edition of Costa Rican Outlook today, I came upon
a blunt nosed ferret!  Actually, it's called a grison, or huron (Galicitis
vittata) and it is quite common in Central America.  Cute little fellow, or
so the small line drawing led me to believe, and quite ferret like, except
for the very square nose.  I'd like to see one in person.  They are grayish
with a racy looking white stripe that seems to start above the eye, flowing
down the neck and across the shoulders.

It's described as a "badger-like mammal in the weasel family", and the story
in our magazine was of its pursuit of a mouse that couldn't decide which was
a worse fate - being flattened by a bus or devoured by the grison.  The end
of the story had the dinneree and the dinneror streaking through the grass,
just a pair of ripples in a sea of green - outcome unknown.

Any experienced Costa Rican travelers had an up close & personal encounter
with our friend the grison?

Warm fuzzy thoughts,

Georgia