From:
katharine long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 09:14:22 EST
Subject: Vomiting
In yesterday's FML, Maria wrote:
>I am writing an article about ferrets and vomiting.  What can be the
>causes?  How can we find out what the problem is?  What can be done?  Any
>special things to do if your ferret starts vomiting (special food, good
>ways to give them fluid etc.)?

I used to discover little puddles of vomit on occasion.  I think it was Lucy
but was never really sure.  However it has only happened once since she died
1 1/2 years ago.  I finally determined that she was getting hold of a dead
roach (GROSS!!) or one of those tiny green tree frogs...you know what I
mean...the ones that are hard and flat after they die.  Several times, I
would catch her with a frog in her mouth and would fight with her to take it
from her.  Occasionally I would find roach "parts" around the house.  I
always thought that was what caused her to vomit.  I know it sounds like I
have a disgusting house but in Florida, roaches and other vermin are like
part of the family.  They get in no matter what you do.

Florida is also a kill and test state.  It is believed here that there is
not enough information available to prove that rabies vaccinations work with
ferrets.  However, if you do have a current record of all your little
weasles vaccinations, and the little monster has never been lost or out of
your site, they will go with quarinteen instead of destruction.

You're lucky if the officials in your county will quarantine.  What county
do you live in?  Last summer I talked to the state health officer and he
told me that it is up to each county as to whether they kill and test or
quarantine.  He said that IF you can prove rabies vaccinations, IF you can
prove the ferret has NEVER been around other animals, and IF you can prove
the ferret has NEVER been outside unsupervised, they may go with a
quarantine.  How do you prove the last two??????  They either believe you or
not.  I live in Tallahassee and have never checked with the local
authorities because I really don't want to know the answer.  I do know one
thing though...I have certainly changed my habits since the Kodo incident.
In the past, out of ignorance, I have let children and adults pet my ferrets
(a little PR).  Luckily, there has never been a bite incident.  The children
enjoy it so much.  I'll have to be very careful that I hold their heads away
from the children so they can pet their backs.

A couple of years ago, when I was out walking in my neighborhood, I stopped
to talk to a couple who were walking their dogs.  One of their dogs nipped
me.  I really didn't notice it until later when I saw that he had broken the
skin and there was a little blood.  I saw them a couple of days later and
mentioned it.  They said "He's been vaccinated.  We can show you the papers
if you want to see them." I said, no problem, I wasn't concerned.  I really
never thought about it again.  Little did I realize what a stink a little
ferret could cause when it happens all the time with dogs and cats!!