From:
katharine long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:33:37 EST
I've been reading all the debate and here's my opinion.  It will probably
ramble on a bit.

What we need is a national clearinghouse for information.  Factual
information is hard to come by.  Many opinions are expressed but few can be
documented (at least well enough to convince the powers-that-be).  Every bit
of ferret information I had gathered over the last 4 years (other than 1-2
books) has been stuff I stumbled on accidentally.  I have found much more
since I got on the internet at the first of the year.

Here are some simple things that can be done.  Why not work with Marshall
Farms, Peterson Farms, Path Valley Farms, etc.  We could provide literature
that they would include with each shipment of kits to pet stores that would
include innoculations (vaccinations?) needed, basic care, supplies, food,
etc.  and would also provide information, phone #s, internet addresses for
ferret organizations, and internet addresses for good, factual ferret
information.  If I were a brand new ferret owner, what would I need to know?
When I first got mine (from a pet store) I didn't get any information like
that...not even about shots!  I took mine immediately to the vet just to
make sure that she was healthy (before I got too attached).  Not everyone
would do that.  Luckily, I had read 3-4 books and knew quite a bit.  Luckily
also, the pet store owner was very helpful but she is certainly not an
expert.  Many pet stores give our erroneous information about ferrets.  I
get into "discussions" every time I go into one.  "Why don't the ferrets
have food and water?  They keep knocking over their food so we just give it
to them periodically.  They use the water bottle to climb out of the
AQUARIUM so we just give it to them periodically." "Do you realize that
ferrets' metabolisms are very fast and they need to eat/drink frequently?
No, we didn't realize that." And on and on and on.

If AFA is the largest "national" organization, they (we the members) should
be the clearinghouse.  This is not to say that other national and local
organizations shouldn't be there.  Just that they could feed current info
into this central location.  Those of us who are members have a voice in the
organization and if enough members ask AFA to change their focus more toward
rabies studies, bite and rabies statistics, national quarantine policies,
etc.  that's what they should do!!  Or maybe even set up a separate
committee just for that.

Education is still very important...it goes hand in hand with acceptance of
ferrets as domesticated, loving house pets.  The shows and fun days are okay
(for those of you who live close enough to attend) but I think that
definitive rabies studies and quarantine periods are MUCH MORE IMPORTANT!!!

I think AFA (or whomever) should consider hiring a researcher (if our annual
dues have to go up, so be it) to be responsible for collecting all
information on ferrets and keeping it up-to-date.  The information is only
good if it's current.  Several people on FML are trying to collect info on
each state's policies, etc.  but if anyone needs it, it would be nice to
have ONE CENTRAL site to get it.  In an emergency, such as Kodo went
through, who has time to surf all over the internet looking for information?
We should be able to go to one location or contact one organization!  Also,
don't forget, not everyone has internet access.

AFA should also consider having an attorney on retainer to spearhead legal
emergencies such as Kodo.  This attorney would be responsible for retaining
a local attorney and providing the representing attorney with all the
information he/she could possibly need to represent the client (the ferret).

OR: Since so many local organizations keep up to date on info, why not have
the AFA researcher responsible for keeping the contact list up to date.  If
I had an emergency, I really wouldn't know how to go about contacting
someone in Florida, even though they have emailed me info several times.  My
first stop could be AFA who could then send me in the right direction.

My whole point here is we can spend a lot of time chasing our tails or we
can go right where we need to go for help.  There are several "national"
organizations in place.  The membership should steer their direction.  Why
reinvent the wheel???

     Just my thoughts.

     Katharine
     Lily & Lany & ? & ?