From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:11:06 -0400
Had some requests for the upshot after discussing what I learned from FML
members with vet hospital pros.  This is likely one to save in everyone's
files.

I'm supposed to clean a litter pot well with with hot soapy water and scrub
brush, then dry it and line it with plastic wrap, then put in either
aquarium pebbles or No-sorb litter, then fill her up with fluid and sling
her since she can use a litter box when in a sling.  That possibly might
hold the feces off the urine and permit a clean enough sample.  If it
doesn't work they will likely have to get it by needle, but those who
replied (so many!) said this wasn't stressful when the vet is used to
things as small as ferrets and then he could see her nodes again, too,
since those have changed again.  It's just been a matter of everyone
trying to reduce her stress level when possible given that quality of
life is what she has left, but knowing this answer is also a quality of
life thing, since it would affect medical approach.

You see, she has so little bowel control that almost any time she urinates
that also lets loose and contaminates the samples.  We've actually gotten
samples but they don't stay clean enough for that reason.

Her nodes are up too large now for her to use her wheelchair, though the
sling works beautifully.  They just went blammo.  Could be lympho, could be
infection.  Need to know, plus on Saturday she had trouble dropping urine
(though no trouble since) which could be the spinal growth or could be an
infection that is up and down with all that incontinence.  She has a bit
of bladder control but it's limited and almost no fecal control.  Yes, our
carpet is especially aromatic.