From:
"Gustafson, Barb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 12:11:53 -0600
I'm having trouble picking my jaw up from off the ground which is where
it's been sitting since I read Betty's post.  This is definitely one of
those times when my heart is refusing to listen to my head.  Those that
know me know that I'm a very quiet unassuming sort of person.  It takes
a lot to ruffle my feathers and it takes even more to make me angry.
Right now I'm a tad beyond ruffled!

I am here to tell you that Betty would be about as likely to harm or not
care for a ferret as it would be for the moon to fall from the sky.  This
is the first I've heard of this "Do not adopt list" but when Betty posted
that her name was on it I....well like I said....I'm still trying to pick
my jaw up!

I first knew of Betty and her Blur O'Fur from this list.  I've read her
posts for......gosh.....probably going on 8 years now and right from the
first I could feel Betty's love for ferrets shining through.  It was
there in her words loud and clear for anyone to see.  When the Alberta
Ferret Society started up over 6 years ago I knew that I wanted Betty to
be a part of the team.  Betty was hesitant at first about getting
involved.  She didn't want to get caught up in the politics that all
organizations seem to have, and who could blame her - the politics can be
brutal, but when we dangled, not figuratively of course, a problem fuzzy
in front of her face (a lovely little biter who now resides permanently
with Betty) we couldn't get the door open fast enough.  Betty was there
to save the ferrets and since that day she has never looked back,
politics and all!

The AFS is a provincial organization that provides shelter, education and
adoption services for ferrets.  It currently has two operating centres
within the province and it's goal is to have operating centres in every
major city so that no ferret in our province will have to suffer.  Last
year though the AFS itself suffered.  It suffered a serious set back in
its plans at the hands of some of its most trusted members.

I will not go into details but I will say that the AFS had to fight long
and hard to hold on to what it had created and Betty was right there at
the forefront of the battle.  Betty gave her blood, sweat and tears to
keeping the name of the AFS alive in her community and to restoring its
good name.  Betty has never sought personal gain or tried to further her
own ambitions through her involvement in the AFS.  She has given freely
of her time and her considerable talents because of her love for the
ferrets.  Betty shares our dream of providing care for all of Alberta's
ferrets, not just those in her own back yard.  Betty now manages the
operating centre in her community and the AFS is lucky to have her.  She
is still hurt and angry, and rightfully so, over what was done to the
name of the AFS in her community and she still battles to overcome the
damage that was done.  For every step forward that Betty takes it seems
like yet another obstacle presents itself and she has to take two steps
back again to regroup and figure out how to get around it.

This last year has taken its toll on Betty both emotionally and
physically.  It is Betty's love for ferrets and her determination to
make the AFS succeed in it mission that keeps her going.  No one should
ever doubt the love that Betty has for ferrets.

Now having said all that, I agree.......no one should adopt a ferret to
Betty.......except for the AFS.........we need her to much to share her
with anyone and we have plenty of ferrets that she is welcome to adopt
any day!  When do you want them delivered Betty????

Barbara Gustafson
Alberta Ferret Society
President