From:
"E.M. Ennis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 00:34:32 -0500
>...They are selling 4 week old ferrets now from MF.  She stated that is
>the only farm they deal with, however if she can read the articles they
>will reconsider and maybe look else where.
Jeff

Please pardon my ignorance, but I simply don't believe this.  Jeff, I'm by
no means 'lashing out' at you in particular, but I've been reading on this
list about pet stores getting in MF (and others) babies at earlier and
earlier ages.  All the stores in this area get MF and the youngest I've seen
is probably around 6 1/2 weeks.  At 4 weeks they're not a whole lot more
than hot-dogs with fuzz and legs.  I've had pet stores give a variety of
ages when asked, and they generally tend to underestimate in experience.
We've seen 'kits' with their adult teeth most of the way in and been told
that they're about 6 weeks old.  I don't imagine that MF ships at such a
wide variety of ages to different locations (i.e. we in VT only get 'older'
kits, while others get ones altered at 3 weeks (Good luck, Doctor!) and
arrive in pet stores at 4-4.5 weeks).  Someone e-mail me some proof; I'll
believe it if I see it.

        -Erin...

*Note.  I don't argue either way that they are altered or shipped too young,
just that I can't imagine MF can perform surgery that young with a high
enough survival rate to make it worthwhile for them to continue.