From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:24:35 -0500
Sandi, Different shade of blonde?  Naw.  I'm too tight-fisted to spring
for hair dye and will keep it its natural blonde and white shades.
Natural has worked for me for almost 51 years (except during a couple of
quests in my teens) so why not a while longer?  Won't be as long as
Grandma's was, though, since I already have a few white hairs mixed in;
she had a golden cascade to the middle of her back till at least the
second part of her 70s and was so afraid that folks would think that she
dyed it that she'd pin it up and cover it with many gray nets till it
looked gray.

Unless someone walks a mile in another's shoes it's impossible to know
their experiences, but a person can still take the time to listen and try
to understand...

TV:
At 3:00 AM -0500 11/19/01, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>And what's with the mElange of different animals in the FOREGROUND the
>show?  I mean, if this is a show that was focusing on dogs or cats or
>parrots or whatever, I'd expect them to have other dogs or other cats or
>other parrots or whatever.  But here's a show focusing on ferrets and in
>the FOREGROUND we have dogs, cats, birds, chinchillas, hamsters... What
>the heck?!?  Are they TRYING for Short Attention Span Theater?

Different strokes for different folks... We love that animal interaction
in front.

At 3:00 AM -0500 11/19/01, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>Just as Sukie touched on "the blonde thing" there's another
>"double-standard" out there that's a lot more dangerous...the
>"professional beyond reproach" thing.  Vets are only human.  Don't confuse
>ego with education.  Don't be intimidated by those documents hanging on
>the wall, they deserve only respect, not worship.  Those documents mean he
>should be able to explain things to you, or should at least try.  They
>mean he knows how to learn, and should be willing to continue to learn...
>if he's not, you're dealing with ego - not education.  (This applies to
>all professional fields... not just vets.)

True.  That is one reason on the FHL that we discourage folks addressing
posts and questions only to vets or to a given individual.  It's one of
those things where at times there is reason for leeway, but there are a
lot of knowledgeable non-vets as well as vets out there, and lots of room
for sharing information.  That's also one reason for the cross-posts, not
only to give info to FML folks, but also to get that shared with any
interested vets.

At 3:00 AM -0500 11/19/01, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>I have always bought my ferrets from private individuals and never even
>heard of Marshall Ferrets...
>[Moderator's note: Ugh oh.  OK people... be civil.  We know by experience
>that this is going to go around and around without concluding much.  I
>urge interested people to search the archives before proceeding.  BIG]

Yes, Bill is right.  Emotions wind up too thick and data too thin when
this is discussed, so using the archives is better.  Here in 19 and 1/2
years we have not seen any differences in health, longevity, or good
behavior in the MFs compared with the half-dozen of so other sources our
guys have had.  Then again, the reality is that most samples anyone can
claim to go by are just too small or too uncontrolled to say anything
conclusive at all, that includes our household, so that is a problem with
many reports on any side (including this one)...