From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:08:13 -0400
>My question is this: he is really bald and I'm wondering how long it'll
>be before his hair comes back?  Anyone know?

If follicles have died, then never in those patches.  Some regrow very
rapidly, some at the next shedding season (now in many areas), some at
the shedding season after that.

>With all of the discussion on blind ferrets, I wanted to seek some advice
>for my 5 year old little girl, Milly Grace.  Milly HAS to be blind.  She
>runs into everything - and I mean everything.  She repeatedly runs into
>the door jams, the refrigerator, table legs...

Mark the areas by putting on essential oils of fruits, of herbs/spices, or
of non-poisonous flowers every two weeks.  Smell is their primary scent.
You can even use different scents i different areas to provide directional
cues.  Works very well.  Such oils are available in plenty of places; we
get our's from a nursery and from a health foods store.  It's easy and
it's fair, plus it smells good and a person can select the scents based
on preferences and allergies, too, since many places will have 20 or more
varieties.  We use a lot of fruit and her/spice ones mainly.

>Good news on the legal front!  I just heard on the news that Illinois has
>a new law.  It is called the Companian Animal Hoarding Bill.

>Anyone discovered hoarding animals is required to seek psychological help.
>This does not mean you cannot share your home with as many fuzzies as you
>like.  It means that people with a mental illness called "hoarding" (it
>is related to obsessive-compulsive disorder)can no longer keep acquiring
>animals that they cannot care for.  Instead, they must get treatment for
>it.  ...    I hope other states soon enact similar laws!...

So do I!  What often happens around this neck of the woods is that those
coping with such difficulties in their lives are investigated due to
structural dangers (because building and sanitation laws tend to be more
rigorous) and then the animals are helped secondarily.  I will be writing
to our state senator about NJ considering a law like this; if you could
send/post details that would help.  That sort of law makes so very much
sense!