From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:29:30 -0600
I want to keep everyone current on this matter.

I spoke with Renee (shelter manager) this morning.  Her reason for killing
stray ferrets after the state mandatory 3 day holding period is because she
believes they could carry rabies without showing symptoms.

She said this policy has been in effect for some time and it was instated on
the recommendation of Dr. Deborah Briggs and the State Compendium (which
there is no such thing it is National and I have a copy right here in front
of me and this copy doesn't say anything about automatically killing
ferrets).

I immediately called Dr. Briggs and she said she didn't say anything to that
effect.  I asked her to call Renee and she said that the new personnel at
KDHE want all rabies concerns to go directly through them and she gave me a
contact there, Gail Hansen - 913-296-1127.  Gail said they only handle
rabies/bite issues and did not know where Renee got the information.  Gail
is contacting the State Animal Health Dept to see if they have some type of
regulation there (which they do not - I checked some time ago).  But Gail is
trying so that is good for us and her too.  I commend her in at least trying
to find out where this information might have come from.  Either way she
will be contacting Renee.

Here are #s if anyone wants to contact Gail or the State Animal Health Dept
913-296-2326 or Dr. Briggs 913-532-5650.  The more people they hear from the
better and more timely response we will receive.  Gail is out of the office
but has voice mail and checks it regularly.

Renee is convinced that these people have told her that ferrets need to be
killed, which is not true from what I was told.

We need to make her accountable and have her verify her statements and
actions.  She told me on the phone this morning she has the authority to
change and institute new policies at the shelter so the sooner we get this
settled the sooner ferrets will have an opportunity to live.....

Oh and Renee actually laughed when I told her we were working on legislation
to stop the killing of ferrets in shelters like hers....

Hugs to all.  tle