From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 00:00:35 -0400
I am sorry for your loss.  Not all Triaminic products have acetaminophen
in them, but apparently the one that you have, does.

Many people wonder why I don't generally prescribe medications for
ferrets with influenza or other mild upper respiratory infections, and
unfortunately, this is the exact reason why.

Tylenol (acetominophen) is a very toxic drug in ferrets.  Any product
containing acetominophen is not suitable for animals, and we don't even
use this product in my household for the humans.  This drug is exclusively
metabolized by the liver, and even a small amount generally overwhelms the
liver's ability to detoxify it.  Once that is breached then the breakdown
products of this drug bind to proteins in the liver cells, rapidly killing
the cells, and sending the animals spiraling into liver failure.

In humans, it has a very low level of toxicity, and I am constantly amazed
at widespread usage.  Normal doses have been known to cause liver damage
in persons who take tylenol with alcohol, and a dosage of only 5-6 times
normal may result in death in children.  It is a commonly abused substance
in suicide attempts by children and teens.

But the key is that in animals, it is a killer.  While this is indeed a
tragedy, I am hopeful that others may learn from your misfortune, and
will think twice about giving any human medications to their pets without
a veterinarian's advice.

On a side note, the liver failure occurring with acetominophen is rapid,
fulminant and deadly.  When clinical signs appear, the chances of a pet
surviving is minimal.  In the case of this type of Triaminic, it appears
that ANY dosage, 3 ccs or not, would likely have been fatal.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list