From:
DookDook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 08:33:40 -0600
It was so very long ago, it seems.  My first rescue was a very tiny ferret
with no name.  She was shy, scared and withdrawn.  She ran and hid under
furniture when the other 3 came out to play.  I named her "Little One".
Little One was so scared of vacuum cleaners.

I received a call from a couple in Arkansas looking for a ferret for their
daughter's graduation from high school and entry into pre-vet college.
Little One seemed to be so right for this special gift.  Little One would
be understood.  The husband was a OTR driver and the Mom was the family
accountant.  I gave them instructions how to get to my home.  A day ...
and time was set to pick her up.  The day came and the time came and went.
Evening turned into night.  I called the home once and the daughter said
they had left.  I didn't want to call anymore so as not to scare the
daughter.  The night dragged on, and my hopes dropped.

At 11PM, there was a knock at my door, they were here for "Little One"...
had car problems on the way.  Days turned into weeks.  Little One was
renamed Dawn.  Dawn came out of her shell and was tackling all the big guys
in the house.  The vacuum cleaner wasn't a problem, they had hard wood
floors.

The family broke apart, but the loving Mom took the fur kids including Dawn
with her.

On Friday February 16, Dawn went to meet her Lord.

Her Mom wrote and said,
"Thank you so much for the opportunity to be owned by such a wonderful kid,
now, it's the Lord's turn to see her dance at his feet and have her cuddle
into his arms.

The vet tech was just here yesterday, and she was fine, she had been
slowing down though.  She fell asleep in her hammock this afternoon and
never woke up.  We buried her between two large oak trees with sore hearts,
though we know she isn't bothered with stiff joints and failing sight
anymore.  Would you believe she made it to 10 years old?  Has it been
that long?"

With an aching heart,
Margie