From:
"Irene E. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 1996 11:32:17 -0500
Nathan asked about mixing ferrets with and without their scent glands.
Ferrets who are young, establishing their place in the hierarchy, as well as
those in situations that are new to them, who have their anal glands are
more likely to express them.  As you probably know, this odor is less ah,
pungent ;-) with neutered ferrets and the incidents of their releasing them
occurs less frequently when the above factors are no longer issues (Bob, I
sense a pun in there <G>.)

Nathan, I haven't had any problems putting ferrets with and those without
their anal glands together.  The exception would be waiting to be neutered
males (often times those with anal glands are also unneutered.) It is a
**rare** event when one of my adult ferrets releases his/her "perfume." Even
if such incidents occured more often, I would not have them descented unless
there were a **medical** reason to have this done.  Like other surgical
procedures, the removal of the anal glands is not without risk or
complications.  Fortunately, there is generally no need to subject a ferret
to this procedure.

   Irene & Kids