From:
"Irene E. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 1996 18:39:14 -0500
Have any of you observed post-traumatic stress like signs/symptoms in rescue
ferrets who were previously abused/neglected?

One of mine presents as if he were dying when brought to the vet.  He
sprawls out on the examination table (atop a towel), his eyes "glaze-over",
he appears unresponsive to environmental stimuli, and his body temperature,
heart rate and respirations all lower.  He remains in this state throughout
the exam and the several minute ride home.

Once home and the vari-kennel door is opened, he grabs his stuffed toy and
**runs** out to return it to its' "proper" place.  This described
tranformation is so dramatic that most people would be hard-pressed to
believe this is the same animal!  I've considered video-taping him just
prior to his next appointment for the vet (who has a VCR in each exam room.)

Anyway, I'm going to talk with her about ways to minimize his level of
distress prior to the next appointment.  Any comments would be most
appreciated.

Irene & Kids (Mom, even if Mikey doesn't like it, we think going to the
vet is fun because she gives us treats!)