From:
Shannon Crum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 19:24:22 -0700
Hi,

Dooks and hugs to all the fuzzies!

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice on the treat-giving.  I've decided
on Ferretone daily and crunchy treats once a week.  We've ruled out soft
treats all together.  Since the Pounce hairball treats are making the kids
sick, I'll probably switch to a secondary source.  Probably something
liquid.

On a side subject, we had our first visit to the vet as a group to get
Rabies shots.  Boy, Saturdays are busy.  We sat in the waiting room for an
hour and a half before we got in to see the Doc.  Then, we waited another
45 minutes afterward, just to be cautious.

It was very packed in there.  All three started out in my arms.  While I
was at the counter signing in, they were crawling all over and even trying
to get over the counter.  Finally, I let them down on the floor (with
harnesses and leashes securely attached).  They braided the leashes
together about 5 or 6 times and even twisted them around my legs.

As we sat and waited, we went to the corner and played on the kiddie
furniture (more stuff to get tangled in).  Finally, they went to sleep on
the small table.  We got so many different comments, from "How cute" to
"Will they bite?" to "Why do you have rats?"

I just laughed and explained about ferrets.  I educated a few people.
Everyone wanted to touch them, even though most of them were afraid because
of bad experiences.  I explained how gentle they were and only my youngest
brat likes to nip when he gets excited.  Everything went fine.  I was so
proud.  My kids were very calm and gentle.  They loved and kissed on
everyone.

Even a couple of big dogs had to sniff them and see what these furry,
squirming things were.  My little girl, Felicia, stood up and licked a
Rottweiller on the nose.  I thought it was so cute, but he didn't care for
it so much and went back to his corner.  Only one beagle dog looked like he
wanted some furry lunch.  When he started barking, they all tried to climb
my legs and dooked like "Pick me up!  Pick me up!"  That hurts when you're
wearing shorts.  Needless to say, I had a giant, wiggly furball in my arms
again.

We went through more people coming over to pet them and all of the
assistants wanted to hold them.  Finally, we had the shots and went back
out to the waiting room.  They were kind of worked up and, one by one,
they layed down and went to sleep.  I asked if this was normal because
they are usually so hyper, but she reassured me that was normal.  Now,
we're certified and taken care of for another year.

Getting ready to start another work week *sigh*.  Mondays are the worst.
See ya'll in cyberspace.

Shannon C. (owned by three carpet sharks...
Sebastian, Felicia, & Sonny).