From:
"TinyPrintsOnTheHeart.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:37:15 -0400
Well poster, yes, I am aware I can buy Furvac, ADV testing material and
even rabies shots here in Pa.  We do personally test for ADV here and we
do get the $10.00 cost.  The $25.00 is for the shots.  We go to a shot
clinic each month which does save us vet visit fees for the services.

I am vet assistant trained and could very well give my own shots, but I
have witnessed reactions and personally I am not ready to risk a ferret's
life because I want to provide them cheaper care.  I have the materials
on hand to start the "saving procedure" should it happen after we get
home in the case of delayed reactions, however, I am not comfortable when
the reaction gets very severe.  Ferrets, if you have not heard already
can die from these severe reactions.  When a shelter gets a ferret in,
you get half truths about their medical backgrounds, if that.  With the
unknown backgrounds, personally, I would much rather pay the little extra
so that I have a vet right there to save the shelter kid then to be at
home and risk a severe reaction.  The Shot clinic I go do volunteers all
the material and time if the ferret has a reaction (which I have had 5
so far).  Just to get those kids turned around was over 3 hours of work.
If I had done the shots at home, then gone into the vet for an emergency
appointment to save those 5 ferrets, I would have racked up a bill of
over $500+ per ferret with emergency vet visits, fluids, medications and
the stay.  I do believe I am far ahead of the game even using the shot
clinic.  I also have not lost any ferrets to shot reactions also, which
in my eyes, is well worth every penny of that $25.00/ferret for shots.
I don't take ferrets into my shelter then put their lives at risk.  I am
in the business of saving ferrets, and to loose one or more to a shot
reaction because I want to save money is absolutely uncalled for in my
eyes.  That is not how we operate here, and NEVER will.  If you are into
cutting costs at the expense of a ferret's life, then you should not
rescue.  AGAIN, MY OPINION.  Shots and Medical care is NOT where I CHOOSE
to cut costs.  You cut costs by looking for deals on food, litter and
bedding.  I cut the cuts out of my own pocket by selling items on ebay
and running the fundraiser part like a business.  I buy stuff cheap and
resell it on ebay.  That is how you cut costs down, not putting a
ferret's life at risk.

Second, I want a traceable paperwork showing I have given my shots and my
shelter is being run by the books.  If anyone comes into my shelter, they
can call the P.A.W.S.  people or my vet, who both are licensed in the
State of Pa and can make sure my records are correct.  If the state comes
in a demands to see my paperwork, it is all Legitimate.  How do they know
I really gave the shots.  I could buy the stuff, and never inject it.
They don't know that.  I want hard core proof.  I include all original
paperwork in my adoption folders for each ferret.  This way, no one can
come to me and say I did not give that ferret a shot or ADV test for that
ferret.  Too much faking of paperwork out there.  Not going to have any
suspicions of doubt cast on me.

Marguerite From TinyPrints Ferret Rescue
FYI:
We at TinyPrints Ferret Rescue run under the American Ferret Association
guidelines.  We established these guidelines when we opened our doors in
September 2003.  No ferret leaves our care without proper paperwork.  I
am on the Shelter Committee for the AFA, and have shelter committee
members helping me all the time.

TinyPrints On The Heart.....
TinyPrints Shih Tzu, TinyPrints Ferretry and Rescue
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com
Ebay Sales to Benefit TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Medical Fund
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZalohaferrets
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.petfinder.org
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm