From:
Dook-Woof-Dook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 09:32:48 -0400
If you take into consideration, the total number of ferrets in the USA
(estimate of course) and the people here on the groups (FML, AFA or
whatever other groups).  Alot of the ferrets in the USA are represented
here.  There are alot of rescues on these boards which have a large
populations of ferrets, there are many private owners also who have 15+
ferrets.  So even though this is a small population of people compared
to the entire USA, as far as ferrets represented, there are quite a few
of them here.

Now instead of saying "I am not going to buy from whoever anymore".  Just
don't buy those products from them or anyone else.  It does not mean you
can't buy Ferret Store Food, or Ferrettone from Ferret Depot, or even
bedding from Petco.  Just don't buy the bad treats.  This will cause the
manufactures to rethink their marketing of snacks, yet not hammering the
stores we love.  Personally I would much rather buy from the Ferret Store
or Ferret Depot.  They have a TON of ferret related products, cute
collectible stuff and they SPECIALIZE in ferrets.  They are also owned by
individuals who you can actually email.  Petco and Petsmarts have high
prices, very limited selection as far as ferret items go, and try to get
a hold of someone and have them call you back.  The average person can
not.  Try to go into Petco and get a donation for food for a small
shelter.  It is not happening.

I think by saying you are not going to buy from the small guys (meaning
Ferret Depot or Ferret store) you run the risk of them going out of
business eventually.  Both have taken stands and are both working (even
though it is not the same ways) towards better snacks.  And they SHOULD
be commended!  These changes, just like education are not going to happen
over night.  But by not purchasing these items that you feel you don't
want on the market anymore, will cause change in the marketing.  But you
don't have to boycott or not buy anything.  All that will do in the long
run is give you less choices, if they go out of business.  Personally,
I can't afford to purchase all my stuff for our shelter at Petco or
Petsmart.  I don't sell enough now to make ends meet in our shelter.

Do you know when I do my education days, people do not even know the AFA
exists??  Ferret shows....what???  The International Ferret Congress???
What is that???  How in the world do we expect them to know about what
snacks to feed, they don't even know large ferret organizations are out
there?  I think both the AFA and the International Ferret Congress need
to get their names out there more also, and that may have more of an
impact then when you are working on eliminating bad snacks or whatever
education/issues you are doing at the time.

Marguerite

TinyPrints On The Heart.....
TinyPrints Shih Tzu, TinyPrints Ferretry and Rescue
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com
Ebay Sales to Benefit TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Medical Fund
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZalohaferrets
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.petfinder.org
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm