From:
Norris Harber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 1994 18:29:27 -0500
I imagine you are all very tired of this subject but I would really
like to know, what is the latest status on the Green Mystery Virus.
We've had our oldest two for just over a year and a half now, but we've
only just recently gotten involved with ferret groups.  In fact, the
first I heard of the virus was this past December when I went home for
the holidays and found back issues of the FML though my dad's
compuserve.

As far as we know, none of our little guys have ever been exposed.
We've only had Ozzie since November, but since neither of the other two
have showed any symptoms since he arrived, I'm assuming he isn't a
carrier.  I gather that the virus is very dangerous, highly contagious
and rather long lived, even without a host.  So, what are the
recommended precautions at this point?  How can we practice "safe
ferreting?"

Does it still seem likely that people can carry the virus home to their
little ones?  Was a vaccine ever developed?  Should we avoid letting our
beasties meet other ferrets?  Should WE avoid meeting other ferrets?
Should we avoid meeting other ferret people?

We haven't had the chance to talk to the vet about it yet.  I want to
give him copies of the information I got from the FML.  I'm not sure he
even knows about it.  So if he doesn't, is there any more information
to which we can or should direct him, or is the FML information
enough?

Thanks for the dryer exhaust hose tip.  All 3 of them love it!
Ferret-Mumenshanz!

Nico's vote for best treat:  Cheerios hands down. But chunky tomato
sauce, maple and brown sugar oatmeal, and raisins are all a good
second.  She tried to steal the taco off my plate on Friday, but we
compromised on a few pieces of the shell.

Gunther isn't interested in anything but kitten food (we're another
loyal Iams family, by the way), linatone, and nutrical.  I guess he's
just too good for people food.

Ozzie likes everything, but he likes being bothersome best.  Its a good
thing he's so cute about it.

                                        Thanks a lot,

                                        Norris Susan, Mark,
                                        Nico, Gunther, and