From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 08:38:00 -0400
As I have seen a few queries about heartworm disease floating around, I
though I would repost a conversation I had with Dr. Debra Kemmerer from FLA
a few months ago.

Heartworm disease is a problem in most parts of the US now, except those
arid areas which will not support a population of mosquitoes.  IF you aren't
sure whether heartworm is a problem in your area, check with your vet.

Debra recommends all ferrets in heartworm endemic areas be on some form of
heartworm prevention.

She is currently using ivermectin inthe ferret at the dose of 10
micrograms/lb.  She mixes her own liquid formula at 100 mcg/ml, and gives
each ferret 1/1`oth of a ml per pound of body weight.

The reason she mixes her own is that in the tablet form that most heartworm
prevention is available for in dogs, the drug is not spread evenly
throughout the tablet, so that if you are breaking the tablet and giving
your ferrets a piece of the tablet, you may be giving them too little, or
worse, too much.

For your vets, prior to using prevention, the ferrets (like dogs) can be
tested with antigen kits (not a direct smear, as many infections are
"occult" in ferrets, and do not shed the baby worms in the blood, as they do
in the dog.) Dr. Kemmerer says that the best (and only) effective test out
their is Rhone-Merieux's "Vet-Red Heartworm Detection Kit".  All others are
either not effective in diagnosing the disease, or need extensive
modification.

She has been formulating her own preventative in liquid, easy-dosing form
for 7 years now, and has NOT seen any side effects.  She does caustion,
however, that it must be dispensed in an amber bottle, so it doesn't degrade
in sunlight.

She also advocates that prevention is the way to go here - she expects
to lose 50% of the animals treated for heartworm disease.

I hope that everyone on the FML will apprise their vets of these comments.
For more information about heartworm disease in ferrets, or how to prescribe
ivermectin in the ferret, you may contact Dr. Debra Kemmerer at WEst End
Animal Veterinary Hospital, Gainesville, FL at 904-332-4357.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000