From:
Elizabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 20:43:14 -0800
Hi all.  I just adopted two older babies, so I don't know their ages.
They were left to be "ferret-sat" over 1 1/2 yrs ago with a very good
ferret lady until she decided that the owner just wasn't coming back so
she let me have these 2.  Anyway, I noticed that they both have very
dirty teeth and plan to schedule a teeth cleaning for them but since I
live in CaCa land and am not sure how much experience my vet has had with
ferts, I was hoping I could get some pointers.  Here are my questions:

Do they have to be put under general anesthesia or can they just be
tranquilized?

What are the best drugs to use for this procedure (anesthetic or
tranquilizer)?

Do they have to fast prior to the procedure and if so, how long?  How
soon after the procedure can they be fed/watered?

What should I expect after the procedure as far as fert
behavior/recovery?  I do have other ferts also.

Neither have had their distemper shots.  Can they get those at the same
time or should I schedule separately?

Thanks to all who respond!