From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 1995 00:29:37 -0800
To Anon:

>We have a sick fuzzy and our local sympathetic vet says that the blood
>test is high in sugar and therefore indicates diabetes.  Our Vet is
>practically as unsure about what this means...

I would say that diabetes is the most likely cause, but not the only
possibility.  Also, when the blood test is high, what is the precise value.
A lot can be told by how high the sugar level is.  Levels above 550 (normal
being 80-120) can result in damage to a number of tissues - the lens of the
eye, kidney, and others.  But lower levels around 200 can be tolerated for a
long time without a lot of damage.

We don't know a trememndous amount about diabetes in ferrets, as most cases
aren't diagnosed until late in the course of disease, once the damage has
already been done.  The chances of successful treatment and maintenance are
certainly increased with early diagnosis.

Diabetes is caused by a lack of insulin.  Insulin is required for moving
glucose from the blood into the cells, where it is used for energy.  Without
insulin, the glucose in the blood can't be used, and gradually builds up.
In addition, the animal must break down fat and protein in its body, which
are not dependent on insulin for metabolism.

The treatment for diabetes is insulin.  Your vet can use NPH insulin at a
cat dosage.  The problem is, insulin is given by injection, so if this is a
true case of diabetes, you will have to learn to give the injections
yourself.  While it's a treatable disease, it's no fun for the owner or the
animal.

Best of luck,

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP