From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:11:12 -0400
I have never heard of giving fish oils for the kidneys.  Could you
ask about that?  I'd like to know the basis for the suggestion and
read more.

BTW:  this is a marvelous resource for vets to have in their files,
so if your vet hasn't seen it, yet, you can recommend it as a gift:
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/Clin_Path/ClinPath.html

This is one place that tests supplements:
http://www.consumerlab.com/

http://www.consumerlab.com/results/omega3.asp
may have what you seek.  Ask you vet is omega6 should also be
searched on.
----

Well, one good thing is that if your ferret is adding the blaze after
never having had one then it is NOT from neural crest genetic
variants.  If it had been then the marking would have always been
present; that's something people sometimes forget.

Markings throughout life such as constant blazes, panda heads, and some
types of spotting and streaking can come with health vulnerabilities such
as increased cardiomyopathy rates, possible increased tendency toward
malignancies (the KIT Oncogene is a possible player here), as well as
the possibility of intestinal problems such as poor innervation, the
possibility of sensory deprivation such as hearing reduction, and the
possibility of structural malformations such as jaws which can not fully
open -- so those ferrets should have check-ups more often.  Read about
ferret genetics and related conditions in
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Genetics/

Some begin roaning on the head.  Some just get pseudo-blazes for unknown
reasons.  Some get them for mechanical reasons.  We right now have a male
with a pseudo-blaze on the top of his head from the favorite place of a
younger one to tug on his fur.  The result is no guard hairs there so the
light colored undercoat shows through.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives