From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:00:35 -0500
Basic rundowns on basic foods basically suited for ferrets:

DRY DOG FOODS: Too low in protein and fat to be healthy for the ferret
except as an emergency ration only.  HOWEVER, there is nothing bad in using
pieces of dog food as occasional snacks or special treats.

WET DOG FOODS: These are generally healthier for the ferret, but also lack
the percentages of protein and fats needed for proper nutrition.  Still,
they can be a nice change-of-pace meal once in a while; once or twice a
month will not hurt your ferret's nutritional condition.  The new carnivore
dog foods (real meat) are very nice and make a good treat.

DRY CAT FOODS: Just because the protein and fat percentages are high
enough, it doesn't mean they are quality ingredients, nor that they are
very digestible.  Look at the next 3-4 ingredients and if they are grains,
the food is mostly grain regardless if meat is the first ingredient.

WET CAT FOODS: These are generally much better, although more expensive and
smelly (they also result in a smellier poopie).  Some of the specialty cat
foods are really fine; others are just a rip off.  Overall, I would say
these food are vastly better for ferrets than the dry cat foods, mostly
because the grain carbohydrate content is much lower.

DRY FERRET FOODS: I've seen a pelleted product that was probably pressed, as
well as kibbled products.  I have to say that these are as good or better
than the cat foods, but since no one really knows the ferret's nutritional
needs, its a point, not the game.  Some of these are based primarily on fish
products, so they are probably modifications of available mink foods.  They
are also smellier as food and poop.

WET FERRET FOODS: I think these are about the best thing available
commercially; I just wish I could buy them locally.  I got some on an east
coast trip and fell in love with them.  To be honest, I'm not sure they are
still available.  These are really fine, especially compared to dry foods.

MINK FOODS: These are almost always based on fish and many of the
nutritional problems have been solved.  The commerical ones are actually
probably better for ferrets than kibbled cat foods.  Most are smelly, spoil
quickly, and will turn the litter box into a hazardous waste zone, but they
are a fine change of pace once in a while and if you have good ventilation.
Good quality mink food is probably the nutritional equal of good quality
ferret food; the two species are so similar, it is unlikely many nutritional
differences exist.

BABY FOODS: Get the ones without onion or salt.  There some natural brands
that are extremely good, but expensive.  These foods are high in protein,
but low in fat, so I usually mix in some heavy cream (with a dash of
nutrical) as a cutting agent.  The creamy foods are great for ailing ferts,
and the chunky ones are great as a sauce over other foods.

ROAD KILLED ANIMALS: I have read about people using "fresh" road kill as a
ferret diet supplement, but do not recommend it for several reasons.  First,
many states own the wildlife--even the dead ones--and you are not allowed to
pick them up without a permit.  Second, the act of flattening the animal
causes crushing tissue damage, which means the interior cuts of meat may not
be sterile.  Last, why take the chance of introducing disease or parasites
into your fuzzies.  Not worth it; let it feed the coyotes.

RAW MEAT: Raw meat, if from complete carcasses such as frozen mice or rats,
is probably the best food you can feed your ferret.  Raw meat, if from
steaks or pieces of poultry, is not as good as you might think and I'm not
talking about the hyped-up horror of the meat-packing business.  A chunk of
steak is not a complete food; it lacks many nutrients such as calcium and
fats.  A ferret fed nothing but sirloin will develop rickets and ultimately
die.  Day old chicks and pinkie rats/mice are good in small amounts, but
they also lack the fats and calcium needed for proper ferret health and
should be mixed with other foods.

HUNTED MAMMALS (from human hunters): If a person can eat it, so can a
ferret.  The big problem is while beef or pork might have 15-25% fat within
the meat, wild game is more in the area of 5-10%.  Read "Raw Meat."

HUNTED BIRDS: Like complete mammalian carcasses, these are about a perfect
food, provided they are fed whole and not chicks all the time.

FISH: Not all fish are created equal and lack some of the nutrients a ferret
needs.  However, fish is a good food, better than kibble in many ways, and,
as long as it isn't the only thing you feed the ferret, it is a very fine
food.

JERKY: No fat, and the commercial varieties have way too much salt.  But if
you make your own and leave out the salt, it is a great snack and quite
healthy.  Also, quite good for helping to clean teeth.

DRIED FRUITS: These will cause often explosive gas and diarrhea, but are
otherwise harmless.  The ferrets crave the simple sugars.  A note: although
these will cause some runny stools, it is harmless provided the ferret is
eating well and has plenty to drink.

BONE: A near perfect food; many carnivores can live off bone alone.  If the
bone is cooked in dry heat, it tends to splinter more; if cooked in water,
it tends to get soft and mushy.  The best parts are the soft ends and the
bone marrow from the middle of the long bones.  Some people fear splinters,
but that is a rare problem (if at all in ferrets) and easily solved by
crushing the bone beforehand.  Keeps teeth very clean.

INSECTS: Another very good food, so long as they are not filled with roach
spray.  Excellent treats.  Freeze them first to humanely kill them.

Bob C and 20 MO Boneaholics