From:
Kris Kriskius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 20:44:35 EST
Kat writes, among several other things:
>shame on you...

Here is a website I found, adding up what it takes to maintain a ferret
yearly, I am sure this is not the prices for all vets, but it is a simple
guideline.

I am well aware that shelters require a lot of support, but my main
concern was ADV testing is rather cheap compared to other costs a ferret
can acquire.

http://www.ferretguardian.org/f_facts/howmuch/howmuch.html

And to answer your questions:
Yes, I read the FML daily

No, I am not a shelter, I have my limits and I do know what I can
financially afford.

I do support shelters.

I am well aware of the responsibilities that shelter owners partake in
each and every day, BUT if you can't afford to test for ADV, then perhaps
that individual should consider not sheltering, perhaps fostering would
be an answer.

Many shelter owners *go through a lot*  But many also have some funds
set aside for emergencies OR arrange a way to ask for donations for the
entire shelter, not for just one that needs to be ADV tested.

Why is it different for Kim?  Maybe because it appears that from what I
have seen, she is usually the one asking for *help* when a new ferret
arrives.  That's why.  Other shelters get ferrets in daily, it is not
just Kim that this happens to.  Kim should know that in her area, the
risk of ADV is higher than in other areas.

If you don't trust the ADV tests that are out there, and chooses to go to
the vet, fine and dandy, but have the funds to do so.  What would happen
if 3 of Kim's shelter ferrets needed surgery?  Or something happened that
she needed immediate attention?  If she can't afford that, then she
shouldn't be in the business.  IMHO

There are only 2 ADV tests out there - and neither requires a vet to do
if you are willing to pull your own blood.  The kit for ADV testing for
200 ferrets costs $13.45.  Trim a nail, collect the blood yourself and
then pay for overnight shipping.=A0 She can also have the vet pull the
blood and send the test away herself to save on fees.

Shelters closing down because of ADV?  Yes, that happens, and that is why
they test...most shelters don't wait for handouts before testing.  A
shelter that doesn't regularly test for ADV could be contributing to the
spread of the disease.  Its important to test and should not be looked at
as a luxury, but as a cost for sheltering.

As I said I am not a shelter, because I know I could never afford the
medical care.  I KNOW and HAVE my limits, maybe Kim should seriously
consider hers.

A shelter should expect high vet bills and the associated costs for
sheltering..a plan (other than asking on a regular basis) should be in
place for when that happens.  I have a friend that has credit card for
her shelter.  She also has a plan with her vet for allowing her to make
payments if the need arises so that the ferret isn't waiting for her to
have $$ to be treated.

The biggest point that I was trying to make is that a shelter must plan
ahead for disaster.  A regular ferret owner doesn't necessarily need to
worry about emergency ADV testing or surgery at all times.  Shelters must
assume all of these things every day.

And if as a shelter you can't afford it, maybe its better for them to
foster instead...I dunno.  I worry about those shelters that border on
bankruptcy with every new ferret and what their personal ferrets are
doing without.

The whole part that I was questioning was the raising of the ADV test
fees.  That's a drop in the bucket!  It also should be considered a
normal cost associated with sheltering!  If you can't afford to do
regular vaccinations and tests...what will you do with the very sick
ferrets?  What will she do with the ferret that can't wait for the
funds to be raised in order to have medical care?

Kris