From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 20:31:19 -0800
To Caroline Worrall:
>I just took Sarah to the vet last week for her yearly check-up and my vet
>told me that she was a bit overweight... so my question is should I put her
>on diet catfood?

    Caroline - if she's only a "bit overweight" I wouldn't advise any action
at all.  Ferrets generally have more fluctuations in weight than any other
species I can think of, and a ferret can be fat during one part of the year,
and lose significnat amounts to be "skinny" at other parts of the year.  And
this doesn't mean that anything is necessarily wrong.

    Let's not put her on any diet food at this time.  I'll bet her weight
will come back down over time.  Ferrets who need a diet are few and far
between....

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR