Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:52:09 EDT
I brought my ferret, Amber to the vet the other day.  He had some concerns
about her weight (1.2 pounds...she weighed 1.6 in February.  He said
overall she seemed pretty healthy for her age (she'll be 6 the last week
of Aug or the first week of Sept) but was concerned with how little she
weighs.  He told me to feed her extra protein.  Said to feed raw or
cooked meats, raw or cooked eggs, and/or whole milk.  She wants nothing
to do with any of them.  The only thing I can get her to eat is chicken
baby food with nutrical and ferretone and a bit of water.  Is this
acceptable enough?  If not, how can I get her to eat what the vet wants
her to?  I wasn't too concerned with the weight loss because I thought it
was just her winter weight, but her hips are a little boney.  This was a
new vet I brought her to because the one I usually go to couldn't see her
for 2 weeks (and I was concerned about a lump on her back), so I am not
sure he even told me the right thing to do.  I have decided to keep her
other appointment with her regular vet for a second opinion, but that
visit isn't until the 9th.  I regularly feed her Zupreem which has a
protein level of 40%.  I was thinking the ferretone and the nutrical
would add some calories.  Any suggestions?

Also, when I had her at the vet, I noticed her eye was bloodshot.  He
looked at it and said it was fine, just irritated.  I looked at it again
tonight with the help of my husband, and it appears that a very small
piece of her eye is torn.  there is a minute piece of skin that is still
attached to her eye.  I am thinking she got clawed by a cat (this happened
to her before when she was a year old).  It doesn't seem to bother her,
but her eye gets a little weepy.  Do I wait until the 9th with this and
assume it will be ok until then or heal itself, or should I go back to the
vet I just brought her to with my concern?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Kelly White
Southampton, Massachusetts
(also posting this on FHL)