From:
"Suzanna C. Donahue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:50:14 EDT
I cry every time I read about the fuzzies that have crossed over the
rainbow bridge.  My heart goes out to you all.

I thought I'd give everyone an update on the Pixie, Zinc, and Riki drama.
Well, not much has changed.  I want to cry for poor Zinc, who has been
depressed since the addition of Riki.  I know what it feels like to have
a best friend find a new friend.  Next thing you know, you're the third
wheel.  I see her sitting there in the middle of the floor in her flat
ferret pose, while the other two are having a grand time together.  I watch
her as she begins to play, but loses interest when the interloper gets
involved.  Sometimes she tries to play with Riki, but it seems that Riki
doesn't know how to play her game or something.  It all makes me so sad for
her.  She is now constantly under our feet, following us everywhere.  When
we pause for a moment, she'll lay down right in front of us.  I'm at a
loss.  Everyone says give it time, but how long do you give it?  Riki, is a
wonderful feisty girl and a great pal for Pixie, but it leaves Zinc in the
dust.  So, basically, nothing has changed since my last post.

Pixie and Riki went in for their distemper vaccinations today.  And,
thankfully, everything went smoothly!  (Zinc didn't go due to her
anaphylactic reaction to it last year.) I was more scared about it than I
realized.  We did choose to go with Galaxy D.  I'm just beginning to think
that it's a safer vaccine, although I have heard that ferrets can react to
that too.  I guess I just haven't heard as much about Galaxy reactions, as
opposed to Fervac.

Just an interesting tidbit: I don't remember how I discovered this, but
if I sit Zinc down on her back (like I'm about to do nail trimming) and
lightly rub along the backside of her thigh, she'll strrrretch that leg
way out.  It's the cutest thing.

Suzanna
Pixie (the nine-toed ferret), Zinc, and Riki