From:
The Nelsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 06:58:15 -0700
>From:    "Lange, Sandra SJ" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Conjunctivitious
>On Saturday, I noticed that Clover's left eye was not as round and open
>as the other eye, and took her straight to the vet....
>
> ... he said that she has conjunctivitious (sp?).  He suggested that we
>give it a chance to get better on its own, but if it isn't by a week and
>a half, come back, and we'll start medicating.
>
>Does that sound ok?  I'm not real sure what conjunctivious is.

This is also commonly know as Pink Eye.  Humans can get it, other animals
can get it.  I had a time with it when my show guinea pigs, (yes you read
that right) :) brought it home from a show.  One had it, then it was
passed around by me of all people, because it was on my hands and I would
hold/clean up after the others.  It went around and around the bunch.
This was even after I had been prescribed a triple eye antibiotic.  I had
not been washing my hands in between each animal.

Normally I would get antibiotics, just to help it go away faster.  It is
an infection and can get worse before better.  It isn't life threatening
or anything, but you can catch it too.  Not a pretty sight on a human!

Opthalmic anitibiotics can be found often in feed stores.  Neomycin is one
of them.  Panalog is what I like best but is by prescription only.  Just
remember that cleanliness is the best defense to not pick it up or pass it
yourself.  Always wash your hands when you are done handling the ferret.
You might clean the ferrets bedding more often too.

Good Luck