Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2012 14:19:35 -0500
I am just catching up on my FML reading because I had no power for 6
days. I am in a mandatory evacuation zone, though we didn't leave last
year for Irene or this year. Between my medical problems and having
ferrets in an FFZ, it's easier to stay than try to find a place to
go. To allay anyone's fears, we live on the 8th floor of a 10 yr old
high-rise building and face the courtyard instead of the street. We
were also very well-prepared. We saw nothing of the storm and just
experienced little wind and light rain. You wouldn't even know there
was a big storm happening until we walked down the stairs with
flashlights and saw 2 1/2 ft. of water in the lobby. On the street,
there was 40 in. of water, but we didn't get to see that since it's on
the other side of our building. Most of my friends live in downtown
Manhattan also, so they didn't have power either. And others are either
not keen on having ferrets in their house plus 2 humans, or don't have
the space or both. Where do people go who live in an FFZ? A shelter is
out of the question for both myself and the ferrets.

Regarding 2 1/2 Men, I don't watch the show and absolutely hate when
ferrets get bad publicity, but I have to admit there are times when I
wish I could sic the ferrets on someone LOL. My first ferret, Rocky,
did a lot of PR for ferrets in my area. Everyone in my building,
neighbors, people in the street and even vets loved him. My neighbor
became so enamored with Rocky that for a school assignment he put
Rocky's picture on the front of a brochure about ferrets and asked me
a lot of questions about ferrets, as well as doing internet research.
It was a great brochure. Rocky hated ferrets, but he loved people.
His only drawback was that he was a foot biter. That mainly affected
houseguests, though I didn't mind; it was a good way to get them to
leave sooner LOL.

My current female, Xena, however, would be very bad PR for ferrets. She
likes to bite. She will kiss you a few times then start biting. When a
friend came over and was sitting on the floor with them, Xena bit him.
Not hard, but still. I warn people that she bites. She didn't start
biting until I began playing with her a few days after I adopted her
and Spooky. I think she thinks it's ok to bite humans the way she bites
ferrets. I'm not sure I can break this habit. Bitter Apple only works
as long as it's wet, and I can't put that stuff on me all the time. Do
female ferrets bite more than males? My Minky also bit, but mainly in
the beginning because she had been abused and also when we put her on
the bed, probably because she was afraid to jump down and felt trapped.

I hope all who lived through the storm are ok and didn't experience any
damage.

Shron
Spooky & Xena, aka Whitey & Bitey
Angels Rocky, Minky & Klondike