From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 1994 22:07:29 -0400 (EDT)

Ferrets are naturally albinos.  They are about the ONLY species of
natural albinoes but thats just one more unusual oddity about my favorite
little critters.  The sable coloring is a cross of the naturally albino
with the English polecat.  The roan (a kind of point or siamese) coloring
as I remember comes from I think steppe polecats.  The more unusual
colors like the cinnamons and champagnes are the results of more
elaborate breeding by humans.  At this point the ferret and the various
polecats are all seperate species.  However there is also the theory that
these are all the same species along with the North American Blackfoot.
I am not a biologist so I have no persoanl opinion on that theory.

The English started cross breeding with polecats.  Breeeders in this
country continued the practice.  The different types were called English
for the albino and Fitch-Ferret for the dark cross breed.  Fur breeders
recognized the difference because the Ferrets were bad fur animals and
the polecats were better.  Most of this is from the Harding book.  I
forget where I got the same species theory.  I have a hunch but I'll have
to check it out before I commit to the source.

Black eyed whites are a product of human selectivity.  The albinoes,
sables and chocolates are the hardiest in my experience.  Dark eyed
whites (including dalmations and stripes) are less in general.  Of course
there are lots of exceptions.  The hardiness is also apparent to me in
breeding prowess.  I have seen NO relationship between color
and temperament.  I'm sure not everyone has the exact same experience but
I suspect due to what others tell me most breeders have the same general
opinion.

Our breeding this season has produced all colors but cinnamons and the
sables, chocolates, and albinoes are the healthiest. We have also gotten
some of the pandas/blazes/shetlands but they have the genetic deafness
that comes with their markings.

I'm not sure where the mitt markings came from in the beginning and other
than not being deaf like the blazes I haven't formed an opinion/theory
about their hardiness. (But I like the way they look for sure.)

bill