From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 1994 17:20:27 -0500 (EST)
A few interjections....

Wayne:
Typically we ferret folks use "red-eyed" for albino and ruby for a darker red
eyed white that is not a true 'albino'.  Makes it confusing that these
dark ruby eyed white ferrets are also called black eyed whites.  Don't
know of any ferret 'groups' down in South East.  At least one noted
breeder - Georgia Baily of Dragon Run Ferrets - and a few vets listed in
the STAR database.  We're located quite a bit north in Prince William
County and have several of the national and a good regional group in area.

I forget who asked about the fading ferret:
There is a gene in ferrets that causes them to start with dark guard
hairs and gradually get more and more white guard hairs.  I don't think
your now white will permanently get dark again.  I'll try to work up a
more compete post about the genetics I know about in ferrets - especially
regarding color soon.  I know second promise...

I like white ferrets though my wife doesn't as much.  We are trying to
make a good line of these dark eyed whites from raoning (I think that's
what these fading ferrets were called but I don't have my notes handy).

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
(703)590-3473