From:
Rob Adlers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 10:54:00 PST
Sheena...

These poor critters were in the fur coat factory,eh?  3000 released like
that.........DUMB MOVE!  That's like releasing 3000 sturgeons into a small
lake.

1. Many will die as you witnessed....
2. 3000 Minks into a geographic region would greatly disturb the food chain
there. If they don't die first....other animals will definitely depleat in
great numbers screwing up the eco zone in that region. Gradual releases have
to be done.
3. Is it even a good region for them to be released into? Is there anything
for them there? Will they freeze? Is there food for them there?

Who ever did this had a wonderful Walt Disney concept of the splendid
release into freedom..we all wish that they would have their
freedom... However the reality of doing this ain't as beautiful. MUCH MORE
CARE HAS TO BE TAKEN WHEN RELEASING CAPTURED BACK TO THEIR HOMES!

Comfort yourself in knowing that Minks and ferrets are in the same family,
but DEFINITELY have a different background in regards to domestication.  OK
fine.....Someone, somewhere might had the curiousity to at one point try
cross breeding minks, ferrets, black-footed ferrets..........but we're
talking the experimental types.....which aren't a mass majority of our fuzzy
descendants.  I don't even know if I've seen one of these.  Dr. Williams....
experience with any cases you've seen?

I used to see hand drawn pictures of Black Footed Ferrets in books and I was
seriously worried that indeed my ferrets had BFF cross breeding at one point
in history. Not from moral or any other stand point like that.....but that
the skeptics and misconceived were indeed right and it would make it much
harder for those owners in US states who want the legalization of ferrets to
occur, to stand on solid ground when they presented their case.

After seeing live video footage of BFFs at Stan's place and comparing their
physical characteristics to my girls.......a clear NOT! They're in the same
family, but not even CLOSE.... BFF are lean mean wild machines (think of
this comment in good light...they're incredible creatures)! They look like
they've run the Boston Marathon they're so fit! Bone stucture is visibly
different as well. The only similar characteristic was over all body shape
and the colouring. Past that......nada.....

Now, my father was up at our cottage just north of Toronto two weekends
ago....and was able to check out a visiting Black Mink. Similar to my girls
it was, but solid black, much puffier, rounder and larger. Similar....but
not the same.

Apparently the neighbours at the cottage have sighted white coated Minks as
well, running along the river.....

Nuff said......

Rob - I'm the chief of this house!....errr..... Sam off of the table! Mindy,
don't remove the insoles from my shoes! Gabby!!!!!!!
Samson (feline buddy) - I'm the chief of this house! Now that my nails have
grown back.....Rob....away with the nail clippers.........
Mindy - Humans, cats and socks....they will be assimilated! I'M THE CHIEF OF
THIS HOUSE!
Gabby - Yah, yah,  yah....sure Mindy, but we all know when I hiss, everyone
stops and listens! I'm definitely.....the chief of this house.