From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:22:22 -0500
>From:    "Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
>Shawn - Since your ferret is now 14 weeks old; and you really don't have
>history except for being told that one distemper vacinnation was
>adminstered- You should give your ferret the entire beginning series of
>three vaccinations with Canine Distemper Vaccine Only ... After that, your
>ferret should be vaccinated annually....

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that the reason for the
series of distemper vacs every 3 weeks through week 14 or after (if 1st shot
was at 6 wks, then series would follow at wk 9, 12, & 15) was because
protectection was only afforded for 3 week periods while the kit was still
carrying immunities from nursing (through the 14th week).  In the event
there is no initial vacs history at the 14th week & thereafter, there should
be an initial series of 2 distemper vacs 3 weeks apart.

Also, my vet told me that if the last vac in the series didn't fall on week
14 or after, the ferret wasn't completely protected for the rest of the
year.  She had seen cases where the last vac fell on week 12 or 13 & the
poor ferrets contracted distemper & died.

Are there any vets out there who want to comment?

>From:    Ken Kinard <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Math...(again)
>My wife said if I brought another fuzzy in the house, I'd have to move
>out!!  Welll.... three weeks ago a friend of mine moved into an apt that
>doesn't allow pets :( Anyhow, I took her little 10 month old albino female.
>This little muffin had been abused by its' owner 3 times removed & only has
>one eye.  The other eye had been punched out.

Ken, I'm glad you have such an understanding wife, & Winky has you both.

Juliana
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu, Chaos & Tuxedo