From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 21:25:01 -0500
>From:    BRIAN <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret-proofing
>...tell me what to look for, including some mysterious places where
>ferrets can get.

I can tell you what to look for for MY weasels & the off-limit nook &
crannies THEY favor, but no one can tell you what surprises your fuzzies
have in store for you.

It's time for you to get down on you hands & knees - for a ferret-eye-view -
to *ferret out* anywhere they can squeeze their little head through.  Where
head can go, body will follow.  Check your kitchen, bathrooms, laundry, &
basement very carefully if your fuzzy will have access.  Look under cabinet
facing, around appliances, where pipes go into walls, & determine where your
fuzzy will be able to get into your cabinets where there are hidden pipes &
toxic household products (some weaselies love to puncture plastic bottles &
aluminium cans).

Be aware that they can be stepped on under rugs, squished under cushions,
crushed in closing doors, thrown into the washer w/the laundry, closed in
the dishwasher, dryer, or frig, & just about cut in half by recliners &
convertable couch-beds.  I found out the hard way that they can knock over
just about anything you lean up agains the wall - onto themselves of course.

Even though my fuzzies hate baths they have an affinity for water.  They can
pull themselves up & into the toilet - if undiscovered they usually don't
drown but succumb to the cold.  I can't even wash the floor if they're out
because they'll end up in the bucket.

I've never had a problem w/cords, but that doesn't mean that you won't.  I
did have one big old Elmie who loved to stretch-n-chase the telephone
receiver cord.

The best advice I can give you about protecting your baby is to supervise to
make sure he/she's safe, & confine when you can't be there.  I have no
concerns about caging when I'm not there to watch them, since when they got
tired they would go to bed in their cage, all by themselves.

[Moderator's note: remainder of post deleted since it appeared in issue
1841.  BIG]

Juliana
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu, Chaos & Tuxedo