From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 08:08:20 EST
Zen writes:
>It is a shame that an intolerance is showing up again.  <snip> We don't
>know the situation with the Flemmings but we're guessing they are more or
>less like the other breeders in Michigan.  A larger scale than ost in the
>urban Mid-Atlantic but not anything close to a ranch like Marshall or Path
>Valley.

I posted our policy, pointing out that I was not trying to be political.
The Flemings then attacked me and told me in no uncertain terms that our
show would be a huge failure, and that no one would go.  I refuted their
statements.

>LOS is a rather political organization and it uses this sort of bashing of
>others too frequently.  The Flemmings breed ferrets and sell them.  So
>what?

I said in my original post that it was not to be taken as a political
statement.  Please do not try to twist it into one.  I don't care that they
breed and sell them.  I do take issue with the statement that if they can't
sell them at shows, they will sell them to pet stores, as I felt that they
were attempting to place the blame for their breeding more than they can
sell on my shoulders.  I think that there are other possible solutions, one
which I presented, which obviously they didn't care for.  Breeders can
certainly meet lots of folks at shows without having ferrets there to sell.
Word of mouth is one of the best ways of selling a good product.

>So does the president of LOS.  So does (or did) the president of just about
>all the ferret organizations we can think of.  You too have said you were
>planning on breeding (or have bred by now).

I have one ferret, an Aussie Hob, who will be used for stud ONLY with Aussie
Jills to increase the Aussie lines in this country.  There is a waiting list
for Aussie ferrets, so I don't see this as an issue.  Breeding when one has
a long waiting list for kits is responsible breeding.  I don't own jills,
and never have.  I have never had a litter come out of my house.

>It is and it is not "just about money".  Breeders of animals do sell their
>animals for a higher amount based on what happens at shows.  True of all
>animals we are aware of ... Comments emanating from members of LOS mirror
>those from all other groups though not as openly.  We do not recall meeting
>Amy or Derek nor have we had long email conversations with them.  But we
>know you have no room for attacking their ethics.  A farmer's mentality is
>not evil as you imply.  If it were not for ferret ranches then basically
>none of us would have ferrets.

This is not a ferret ranch arguement.  Our group simply feels that shows are
not a proper place for sales and adoptions.  We welcome breeders to the
show, and would certainly allow then table space to display photos of their
kits as well as showing some of their breeding stock.  We have no problem
with breeders, just with ferrets changing hands at shows.  If other clubs
agree and implement the same policy, great.  If they don't, I am certainly
not lobbying for them to change.  I tossed out our policy, and was attacked
for it by the Flemmings.  I wrote back to them in defense of myself and our
club, not in order to start the great political debate.  We have made a
rational decision that we plan to stick by.  The Flemings attacked me and
made comments (as you have) that our show would fail.  In our case, that is
not going to happen, as history has already proven.  Our show is NOT based
on bringing people through the door to buy ferrets, but to learn about them
and contrary to what the Flemings seem to think, breeders are NOT the only
people qualified to educate the public about ferrets.  We heard many
wonderful comments about the selection of ferret related merchandise and
novelties at our show which can't readily be found outside of shows.  We
chose our vendors carefully in order to have an interesting and at times
eclectic selection of items for our attendees.  These are the things which
will keep people coming back to shows.

>LOS shows are not like GLFA shows.  The Michigan shows are larger.  LOS
>shows are gaining a reputation for light walk through traffic which
>translates to less income for vendors be they breeders, shelters or
>merchandise.  The GLFA shows have many people that did come just to get the
>best ferret they could find....

Seeing as how you did not attend the LOS-NJ show last year, you have no idea
what you are talking about.  We had a large and greater than expected
walk-in crowd, due to heavy advertising throughout the state.  The vendors
all told me that sales were excellent.  Please check your facts next time.

-Anne Ryan
 President
 LOS-NJ