Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 22:20:50 -0500
Ben is doing well today.  She is strong and alert and eating lots of her
Nutri-Cal/turkey baby food/Sustacal mixture.  Bill put her back in the two-
level cage and she seemed happy to be home.  We let Buttercup go in for a
short visit.  We're nervously awaiting the pathology report, hoping she had
an islet cell tumor instead of something worse.  After all she's gone
through, I hope she can at least live to her 8th birthday (she's now 7).
Dr. Weiss keeps calling to check up on her.  He has so much compassion for
his little patients.

There are mixed signals from Jerry.  She is starting to fight her food,
which is a very bad sign.  On the other hand, she's drinking water on her
own for the first time in ages.  As usual, she is very picky: she will only
drink from the dog's large water bowl.  She puts her feet in the water when
she drinks.  Fortunately, the dog isn't possessive of his water dish.  Jerry
is still interested in her plastic lids.  On a good day she'll carry three
or four of them behind the sofa.  We keep taking them out again so she'll
have something to do.  Right now she's sleeping in her miniature sleeping
bag under the coffee table.

Clare

Best wishes to all the sick ferrets and their caregivers.