From:
David Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 11:10:22 -0400
Hello all,

I recently adopted two MF ferrets.  Both male, both albino, both less than
a year old.  Their names are Johnny and Edgar (after the Winter brothers,
of course - albino musicians, albino ferrets).

We aren't positive of Johnny and Edgar's history before they came to us.
A pet store, a short time with a person who was, at least, neglectful, and
then us.  We have a large cage for them with tunnels to explore, a hammock,
and a number of soft t-shirts and blue-jean legs to snug up in.  They spend
the day -- when we are at work -- sleeping in their cage and the evenings
romping about the house.

Now.  Here is the problem.  (And for once, it isn't potty training).

Neither of our ferrets is particularly aggressive.  You can pick them up,
hold them, cut their nails (well, if they are distracted with Ferravite
or the like).  They sometimes nip -- but very softly, as if they are well
aware that they need to be careful not to hurt us.

However, neither of them is particularly affectionate.  They'd rather
ignore us and play with each other.  If we try playing ferret games of
various sorts with them, they play a bit and then run off.  They've no
interest in being held or being petted.  Other than occasionally running
head-first into our shoes, they basically ignore us unless we insist.

I've been thinking this is a function of their age.  The young being, by
and large, to busy playing to pay attention to people's feelings.

But maybe it is just normal ferret behavior?  I find that hard to believe
given the way people on this list seem to relate to their ferrets.

Were my ferrets perhaps abused at some point?  That would make me very sad
and more than a little angry (Who could hurt someone so dang cute?)  But
perhaps it would also give me some ideas on how to help them overcome
their fear.

Or am I just expecting too much from creatures whose lives seems to
revolve around frantic play and naptime?

Your words of wisdom are eagerly awaited.

With pink-eyed dooks,
David