From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:32:43 -0400
I can't remember who it was that posted about giving up on their 5 month
old biter.  I meant to reply right away but didn't.

I just wanted to say that giving up on a 5 month old is way too soon.  I
think it's good to keep him away from people who wouldn't understand being
bit, and would maybe make problems for you, but don't assume that he's going
to be that way his whole life.  I have one ferret who just turned 1 year in
May, and he didn't really become trustable (is that a word?) until about
that time.  He was just too "wired".  I used to drip on the floor quite
often, merely because I picked him up.  He would feel something grab him
(me) and whip around and nail me.  But for him what worked was stern "NO
BITES" and scruffing, and sometimes a hiss thrown in for good measure.  It
wasn't fear making him bite, just his rambunctiousness.  So continue with
whatever measures you find work to curtail his biting, and figure that in
maybe 6 months or so, you will have a ferret who rarely if ever bites.
They usually do calm down as they become more mature.

Even now, I can tell just by looking at Luthe if he is even THINKING about
nipping, and "no bites" will make him think of something else to do.  But
when he does try a nip, that's all it is, a nip.  The hard blood-drawing
bites are pretty much a thing of the past.

Good luck!
Karen
for you are crunchy and taste good with Ferretone.
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html