From:
Shawn Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 09:09:28 -0600
>Our quess is that we have either a squirel or (yuck!) a RAT!  ... So, I am
>worried that he is now in my house rather than my attic and that my fuzzbean
>may be in danger.  Would either of these creatures attack a ferret?

Maybe it's the wild critter you should be worried about :)  We thought sammy
was a nice mild-mannered animal until a chipmunk got in the house one day.
We were afraid that the cats would get it, but no, they were too slow &
sammy found him first.  I don't know what a ferrets size limit is for prey,
but he's not afraid of wrestling with our cats.  As I recall, ferrets were
used for pest control in Europe before (& after) cats were discovered for
that purpose.

>Subject: Ugh!  Many questions...
>Well we have had our little one now for about three weeks (thats about
>three weeks since I last posted anything here), and he and the older ferret
>are getting along a little better, but they still fight or play-fight most
>of the time they are together.  I am wondering if they will ever bond up
>completely...

We only have one ferret, but we have 2 cats.  We had heard that ferrets &
cats get along, but without any previous experience we were a bit worried
when one of our cats kept fighting with our ferret.  We eventually
discovered that our ferret LIKED to wrestle with the cat and would willingly
come back for more.  In fact, lots of the times he started it!  He quickly
found out that our other, slightly larger, cat wasn't at all interested in
playing and gave up fighting with her.  They all three sleep with us on the
bed though.

- shawn
Shawn Steele