From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:50:02 -0600
O.k. who's waiting for my response? :-)

Rehabbing or behavior modification should always be done gently.  If a
ferret bites there is a reason.  It is our job to find out what the reason
is and gently work with them to correct the problem.  The biters I see most
often, and we are talking about biting not nipping or mouthing - are
breeders sold at auctions or deaf ferrets.  Both these types of ferrets are
handicapped - one physically and one psychologically.  Gentle, loving
persuasion is what is needed to convert a biter.  Ask Nancy and Lynda my
response as I juggle a biting ferret that is making mincemeat of my hand or
wrist.  The worst I'll do is scruff or gently lower to the floor and let go.
If there is linatone close by and I can get to it, or someone else can then
we dribble linatone in front of them.  NO, we aren't rewarding them for
biting - WE are gaining their trust that WE as humans are not going to hurt
them.  Trust is the first step.  Rusty is coming along nicely.  He's a 7
month old breeder ferret with a damaged eye - blind from abuse.  His first
reaction to being held or picked up was biting, hard.  He now looks forward
to my picking him up if even for only a few minutes.  I've got time, no rush
here.  He loves to have his belly tickled and wiggles with delight.  He
smiles.  He still doesn't quite trust me totally but that will come in time.
I'm gentle with him and I respect him.  I kiss his nose.  He lets me.  Am I
taking a chance?  Yep.  I know if I get bit there is no one to blame but
myself.  When it comes to ferrets I'm a kissy/huggy person.  Can't help it -
I must have been born that way.  :-) TLC is the key in rehabbing and
behavior modification.  TLC is the key to happy healthy ferrets.

Hugs to all.  Happy Thanksgiving.  (I'm thankful for my wonderful helpers
and friends that help with the ferret stuff.) tle