From:
Jackie Hawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 00:53:55 -0800
Hi everyone,

It seems the supposedly "top reporter" for The Spokesman Review in Spokane
has made a mockery of the candlelight ceremony for Jean and the ferrets.

His article:
http://www.VirtuallyNW.com/stories/1997/Dec/30/S325819.asp

It seems since very early this morning, only three replies to Doug Clark's
article has been posted and I know of at least 6 that have not been.  Since
he feels we are "wacky animal extremist", thought you may like to read it
and respond..... It will be interesting to see if other replies are posted.
I suppose Mr. Clark also thinks of himself as a poet since this is what he
had to say to Sam personally: " (P.S.  You should rework the poem.  I don't
mean to be cruel, but much of the rhyme scheme is forced and sophomoric.)"

For someone that did not arrive at the "vigil" until it was half over, he
certainly didn't make himself aware of the purpose of the ceremony or any
history of animal abusers.  Jean said at the opening, the ceremony was not
about the ferrets, but about the crinimal justice system in Spokane or
rather the lack of it.  She, along with many others feel laws are not tough
enought on animal abusers, even with a state such as Washington being one of
the few that can get toughter on animal cruelty.

Jean did not read the newspaper story until she was on her way into the
courthouse.  After reading it, she could not go in.  She left in tears with
reporters and TV crews asking for comments to the story...her replies of
yes, she would do an interview about Doug Clark stopped them however.  I
understand the television stations were wonderful and carried very positive
stories.

At the arraignment, basically, bond was set at $50,000 with no unsupervised
release.  Lance pled not guilty to all counts.  The judge said in court that
he is a risk to society, and also put a protective order against him for
Jean.  The judge also mentioned that their were only 8 counts but there were
93 ferrets killed

There are mass relapses going on with most of the ferrets.  Internal and
external hemorrhaging.  Two that came home from the hospital are doing
really well and so happy to be home.  No trauma at al but one will probably
still have to have another surgery.

Jean did say that with the help of the attorneys set up by Carla, the
prosecutor did an excellent job today.  Except for the negative newspaper
article, things really are moving along well.

There is something everyone can do.  A kind person sent info about the Leeza
show wanting info about animals in trouble.  This seems like a perfect story
for them.  They have stopped accepting calls for stories but you can fax the
info to them at (213) 520-2400.  Try to keep it as short but with as many
details as possible.

Now is a time for waiting, trying to contact the larger TV networks, etc.
We still need to get the story nationwide to try to help ensure tougher laws
on animal abuse.  If anyone has some old media contacts that we used with
Kodo, please forward them to me.

Let's pray the coming year will be a better one for our little furry
friends and I wish you all health, happiness and lots more healthy,
happy, furbabies.  Happy New Year!

Jackie