From:
Teri Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 08:47:34 -0500
>From: KCAMPBELL <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fuzzies, what else?
>Date:   Sun, 13 Mar 1994 08:58:19 -0500

>   Tim,  just by the meaning of the words "happier duo", a second
>ferret is a necessity.  Without the second one it is impossible to
>have a happier, or for that matter an unhappier duo!  Having 7
>fuzzies at the moment and two more due in the door tomorrow, I believe
>a playmate is worthwhile.  Carmen shouldn't be upset by the biting
>as the ferrets certainly aren't.  That is the way they play!
>Jealousy, ? , it can happen, who can predict.  Ours had to work out
>who was going to be boss ferret, just like our dogs did.  Currently,
>our oldest by age, newest by acquisition, smallest by size, it queen of
>the roost.  She can be a real B*t*h ferret when she wants to be.
>    Sex is immatterial if they are both fixed.

When we got Lima (neutered male), who was two years old when we got him (and
had not lived with any other animal before), we also thought that he'd be
much happier with another ferret around.  We tried three other ferrets.
The first, a neutered female, fought with Lima, cornered him, and bit him
hard enough to draw blood.  Lima appeared terrified of her and we decided to
end that relationship quickly.  The 2nd & 3rd ones Lima attacked and
terrified them... the worse, since they didn't know the "territory" and
couldn't quickly find places to hide easily.  Since then, Lima has been on
his own and I have often wondered whether we had a pathological, xenophonic
ferret, or whether we did something wrong by simply putting the new ferret
in the same room with Lima (Lima lives in the "computer" room, no cage, but
he has his various hiding holes where he sleeps).  On the other hand, Lima
seems to have no problem whatsoever with our two dogs!

--
Teri Ray     | RIME: 1532 or DATATERM    | Internet: [log in to unmask]
DTR BBS      | CIS: 71331,2467           | BBS: 1 602 993 4753/8N1/v.32