From:
RBOSSART <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 19:58:39 -0500
Tim,
I posted a reply to your ferret questions the other day, then today
realized I had left out one very important point.  The recliner!!!  A
ferret death-trap.  They get up inside the chair and into the mechanism.
When someone operates the recliner, they're crushed or worse.  Same goes
for the pull out sofa beds.  Baaaad news for ferrets.

Joseph,
On the wood chips.  Everything I read on the subject says that wood chip,
especially cedar chips are not good for the ferret.  The chips promote
bacterial growth.  The cedar oil is bad for their respiratory system.
Some may eat the chips and the splinters will cause intestinal blockage.
The fact that you've done it for 5 years may prove that everything I had
read was wrong or it may be the exception that proves the rule.

Anyone,
I *need* ASAP some documentation on the alledged death of a 10 month
infant as a result of a ferret attack.  It was supposed to have occurred
in Oregon within the past several years.  I had been told that the police
had later ruled the death a murder at the hands of the parents, but I
need documentation of some sort of the murder accusation (newspaper,
magazine, police report, etc.) for an upcoming hearing here in NH.  Dept
of Public Health is claiming that ferrets are "baby-killers" as a result
of the initial report and need to refute this.

Dick B.