From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:38:37 -0500
>Over the last three days my vasectomized hob, Phoibos, developed
>something that looked like a hernia involving the left side of the
>scrotum... Ever since the operation his left testicle has constantly
>been somewhat larger than the right one.  During the winter months the
>right one..  the left one has always stayed slightly descended.
>
>Today I took Phoibos to the vet. He was neutered and the left side of
>the scrotum turned out to be filled with fluid.

Dear X:

This is an uncommon problem in American ferrets of course, because so few
are intact.  It looks like what we call a testicular hydrocele - only one
has been reported in the ferret, in association with a testicular tumor
(most cases in other species are also in association with testicular
tumors.) A testicular hydrocele is an accumulation of fluid within the
membranes surrounding the testis.  In most cases in animals, the fluid
accompanies a testicular tumor, but it can also occur if for some reason
abdominal fluid seeps into the testis through a rent in what is known as
the processus vaginalis - the hole through which the testes pass into the
scrotum (which is usually closed immediately after the testes descend.)
Please have those testes examined by a pathologist (I would be happy to
do it for you).

You very well may see some fluid accumulate immediately after surgery -
you have a large potential space here which is enlarged by the removal of
the testis - I would wait for a couple of days before panicking to see if
it goes away.  If not, a second surgery to go in and resect some of the
excess tissue in the surgery area and check the processus vaginalis.