From:
Mini Tafoya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:17:46 EST
Hello everyone,

Seen a request for info in yesterdays FML on what to use for flooring in
fuzzie cages.  We just built a new cage about a month ago....36 inches long
by 36" high and 24" deep, with two levels plus a loft.  We house 6 girls in
it, and they totally love it.  I carpeted the entire cage, including the
ramp going to the upper level.  I have hammocks and sleep tubes hanging
in the top level and plenty of bedding.  They can curl up and snooze many
different ways.  If the carpet gets stained, just take it out and replace
it.  You don't even have to buy new carpet, just find someone who lays
carpeting for a living, and ask for some.  The entire bottom floor is for
litterbox, food and water dishes.  I keep two water dishes on the bottom
floor and one food dish.  I also keep a waterbottle on the top level and
a second food dish...wouldn't want to have the kids walk all the way
downstairs just to get a bite or a drink of water.  BTW, I prefer to use
1X1 14ga wire galvanized after...this wire has the strength to stand up and
can be bought in several different width.  By buying 36" and 24" there was
a min of cutting (saved my hands from additonal blisters), also using flush
cut pliers, which leaves no point on the wire, it cuts it evenly sure
helps.  There are plastic covers one can use as well on doors, so no one
gets caught on any wire sticking up.  As u can tell I have some experience
making cages...and fixen to make some more.  I have a 100' roll of each
the 36" and the 24" on order.  Latches for doors are also important, and I
prefer the plain wire ones that hook over a wire.  If you use a spring with
a S hook, the spring wears out with time.

If someone needs info where to order these items from please email me and I
can give u two or three RABBIT Wire/cage suppliers that carry this type of
wire and the rest of the stuff to make cages.

Hugs to the fuzzies
Mini and her gang...