From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 1994 22:08:12 -0500
   I had occasion to speak with Troy Lynn Eckart in Kansas today (as well
as with Ann Davis) and we were talking about the McDowell's problem in
Kansas and the propaganda being spread by New Hampshire (I'm sending Troy
Lynn some of the posts re NH Dep. of Health since she isn't on-line and
she's going to try writing a few letters to them).  I've been trying to
get a copy of the court case through LEXIS without any luck -- apparently
Kansas is one of the slow states when it comes to reporting.  Since no
one has been able to acquire a copy of the transcript due to the cost of
it,  I thought it might help to at least get the official reported
version.  Troy Lynn is checking with the court there to see when we
might expect to find it.  Additionally I have suggested that perhaps
some law students at some of the nearby law schools might be recruited
to help with some of the legal research required to help Rita and Mike.

  Another idea that we discussed was dealing with getting one of the
tabloid news shows to cover the story...so far only American Journal has
been approached and they didn't want to do it without the ferret.
Perhaps someone out there has addresses for "A Current Affair", "Hard
Copy" or "Inside Edition", etc. and we could stage a letter writing
campaign to see if there's any interest...Bill suggests we also contact
"60 Minutes" "20/20" "Prime Time", etc....he believes in going after the
"big boys"...  These big shows do like showing the little guy being run
over by the "powers that be".

  Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  There has
to be a way to get this moving again.  Maybe even getting addresses of
some celebrity ferret owners and asking them to lend a hand.  Between the
case in Kansas and now New Hampshire getting weird on us it looks like we
need to step in and do something before it becomes of epidemic
proportion.

   This is me stepping down from my soapbox...and getting some much
needed kisses from our big boy "Ghengis Khan" -- he's at 6 pounds now and
hopefully holding <G>.

   diane & bill
   zen & the art of ferrets