From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 21:34:38 -0500
Our shelter has long been a part of the shelter listing that Ela, Judith
and Georgia put on the FML regularly, but tonight was the first time in a
long time that I sat here and really read the whole listing, word by word.
Sometimes it's easy to forget that we (meaning our shelter) are not the
only ones constantly battling the odds, having to deal with horrible cases
of abuse and neglect, and always scrambling for a dollar or two wherever we
can get it.

It makes my heart feel good to see all those caring shelter people out
there.  At the same time, it makes me sad that there's not more that can be
done to help them out.  As I read each one, I wanted to run out and buy
them their scale, ship them dozens of blankies, or foster and/or adopt
dozens of their ferrets.  Unfortunately, I'm only one person and don't have
the capability to do that.

I'm not asking for money for our own shelter.  If you live in the state
(or province) where some of these other shelters operate, won't you
please consider sending them a donation or some of the supplies that are
desperately needed?  You have no idea how much even a tiny donation means.
The dollars add up, and probably more than that, just knowing that others
out there care enough to take the time to send a donation sure gives a
boost to someone who feels overwhelmed by the enormity of the tasks that
are ahead of them.

THANK YOU to all those shelter operators in the SOS listing, and to those
not listed.  And of course to Ela, Judith and Georgia.  You all give so
much of yourselves and reading that listing and seeing the desperate need
across this country and Canada is enough to bring tears to the eyes of a
grown man.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC